Ryan and our friend, Dirk, participated in the Melamasters Golf Tournament one Saturday morning, so Dirk's wife, Shannon, and I thought we needed to do something together while the guys were out golfing all morning. We decided to take our kids to the zoo, then the park for a picnic lunch. It was a great day for the zoo, not too hot and not too crowded. Jeran went into the goat pen for the first time. He wasn't too excited about the goats at first but didn't want to leave the pen when it was time to go. It was lots of fun, definitely better than sitting at home waiting for Ryan to be done golfing.
Ryan thinks that Jeran looks like the kid from "Angels in the Outfield" in this picture.
Our not so little hatchling.
Hyrum, Morgan, Kaylin, Spencer, and Jeran.
Hyrum and Spencer are the same age, as are Morgan and Kaylin, who are best friends.
On August 19th, Kaylin started first grade. She was so excited to go to school. We met her teacher 2 days earlier, picked her desk and put away her school supplies. She goes to the school right by our house which is really nice. It was different having her gone all day at school. Jeran and Spencer kept asking when she would be home, and I missed having the extra help at home but we've since adjusted and Jeran looks forward to opening the door for her when she gets home and giving her a big hug.

After less than a week on Craigslist, we gave away this year's litter of kittens. We almost kept the darker of the two calico kittens but decided one cat was plenty. I'm very grateful that our cat has cute kittens, I just wish she wouldn't leave squirrel tails on the deck and dead mice on the deck for me to find in the morning. Speaking of dead mice...after the boys and I walked Kaylin to school, I decided to open the garage, let the cat out of the garage and let the boys play with the kittens. The garage had only been open for a minute when our cat, Smudge, ran back in and dropped a dead mouse on the garage floor, practically at my feet. Then to make matters worse, the little orange kitten pounced on it grabbed it by the head and ran behind the diaper pail. When the other kittens came to investigate he'd growl at them and back away. I finally managed to grab the kitten by the neck, making him drop the mouse, then whacked it (the mouse, not the kitten) out of the garage and to the curb with a stick. So very gross. I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that I had to whack a dead mouse out of my garage or the fact that the cat found the mouse so quickly...

No comments:
Post a Comment