Date: March 13, 2009
Location: The Dining Room Table
Time: Snack Time
I had placed the toaster oven (which was cold) on the dining table so I could clean the kitchen counter while the kids were eating a snack. Spencer was sitting in Ryan’s chair, as is his custom when Ryan’s at work, and was sitting right next to the toaster. He was eyeing the toaster, contemplating touching it, when Kaylin, being the good big sister that she is, took it upon herself to explain to her little brother the dangers of touching the toaster oven.
Kaylin: Spencer don’t touch that! It will give you a nibble.
Spencer: A nibble?
Kaylin: Uh huh. It will give you a nibble and it will be red and ouchy. And then when you put on your shoes it will get smushed and it will be all red and ouchy inside, and Mommy will have to put a band aid on it. You don’t want to get a nibble do you?
Spencer: Nibble? Be ouchy?
Kaylin: Uh huh. Like a long time ago when I touched the hot pizza (pan) with pepperoni and olives and it gave me a nibble. And then when I was putting my shoes on for church, it got smushed and it hurt a whole bunch and it was all red and ouchy and Mommy had to put a band aid on it so it could get better. You don’t want a nibble do you?
Spencer: No…
Kaylin: Then don’t touch the toaster! It will give you a nibble! Right Mommy?
Sweelin: That’s right, you don’t touch the toaster when it’s hot.
Kaylin: See Spencer?
In case you haven’t guessed, Kaylin was talking about getting a blister. I remember her getting a blister and it popping as she was putting on her church shoes, but I didn’t know that was how she had gotten it; she never said anything when she burned herself.
While Kaylin was giving this rather lengthy explanation, I was scrubbing the kitchen counter furiously as I tried to keep from laughing out loud. I could barely keep a straight face when she asked me to confirm what she’d told Spencer.
12 years ago

1 comment:
This story is so cute.
Kids always have such great memories. My oldest remembered for like a year (and even now) a place I got my haircut once. We drove past it a year later, and she said "Mommy that's where you got your hair cut." I had almost forgotten already.
Nibbles is a funny word.
Post a Comment